Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:45:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

David Muir Sharnoff stands accused of saying:

> I'm going to do it, but I'm not all that happy about it.
>
> Perhaps an inetd-like program that keeps other programs running?

Huh?  You don't make any sense; the shell loop _is_ "an inetd-like
program that keeps other programs running".  The question is "why does
named bomb out", and the people to ask would be the bind-workers mailing
list.

> Well, the second part of this task is to do IP address rewrites on
> the fly.  Give all my dialup users static addresses in a reserved
> network and then rewrite them on the fly as needed.

This is not going to be popular with _anyone_.  Why use a reserved network?
Why not either grab a class C (not hard) or use something like SLiRP?
(SLiRP works _very_ well these days).

> As for the disconnnect codes, with the sportsters if you don't have the
> modem reset on DTR drop, you can simply issue an "ati6" command and see
> what's up.

Not resetting modems on DTR drop is inviting sure death from modem firmware
problems, _particularly_ with low-end modems like the sportster.

> * > Better support for CDROM changers: it would be nice if it figured
> * > out a mount point by looking at the disk the way that Solaris does.
> *
> * Not enough disks have meaningful identifiers; still, this could be
> * done with a shellscript.
>
> It doesn't have to choose a good name, just a consistent one.

No, the problem's just that not all CDroms can be meaningfully identified
from their volume labels or contents.

> * Yetch.  Requires netscape; not necessarily a winner.
>
> Big win.  It makes it easy to administer.  This is the sort of feature
> that can wean people away from Windows.

Optional point-n-click sysadmin interface yes.  Netscape/Webserver/CGIbin
requiring implementation _no_.

> -Dave

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[