Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 22:14:52 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Martin Nilsson <martin@filex.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amr still seems to have issues.

* Martin Nilsson <martin@filex.se> [000422 17:04] wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Hmm.  Looks like I'm not retiring the wedged command correctly.  This=
 is=20
> > > a symptom, rather than the real problem, though.  See if disabling th=
e=20
> > > command timeout stuff makes the system happy - either these commands =
are=20
> > > just taking a _long_ time to complete, or you have another problem.
> >=20
> > Yes, I've been thinking I may need some firmware upgrade from AMI?
> >=20
> > I'll look into it.
> >=20
> > Ok, the latest firmware is the uf80-1.61, which is on the card.
>=20
> The latest firmware for the series 428 cards is UF82. Get it from
> www.ami.com

grrrr... the tables were so fubar'd under netscape that I didn't see
it.  I'll be upgrading it asap.  thanks!

> > > I _still_ think you have disk, cable or enclosure issues, but now tha=
t=20
> > > you've precipitated this case I can go look at what I'm doing wrong h=
ere.=20
> > > Thanks!
>=20
> =03> I was wondering if anyone else on the lists have had the same
> problems
> > as I have been having with the Enterprise 1200 (3 scsi port) version.
>=20
> I have a series 428 (Enterprise 1200) with two channels and 32MB RAM in
> a=20
> Tyan dual PPro 200MHz running 5.0-current. This is not a production
> machine,
> and the are no important data on the disks so I can experiment with it
> as I like.
> =20
> I've had all kinds of problems with it and the three Quantum Viking
> disks I have.
> It trurned out that i must disable SCSI command Queing on the disks in
> the AMI BIOS
> otherwise the controller stops working within a couple of minutes.

I don't have this problem...  well it takes a heck of a lot longer than
a couple of minutes...

 9:43PM  up 2 days,  5:11, 2 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

> This error is more reproducible using RAID0 than RAID1 or 5.=20
> I've also had big trouble with a SCA to Wide and narrow converter on one
> of the=20
> disks. My experience is that the NCR SCSI controllers (as on the AMI
> cards) are=20
> rather picky about bad SCSI cabling and termination, esp. when running
> Ulra Wide.

Yes, this concerns me, I may yank the box to check the job they did
with the scsi cabling...

> > I'm really not using all that much disk throughput.
> > I'll have that iostat log the next time it keels over.
>=20
> I can make it fail regerdless of thruput, this is not the old controller
> wedged bug.
>=20
> I have just put i thru two make worlds (-j64) without any problems, two
> disks RAID0
> one on each channel. First time with default parameters, second time
> with Write back,
> adaptive read, cachedIO.=20

Wait a sec, you _can_ or _can not_ get it to crash with the latest
firmware and turning off command queuing?

> Tell me if you want me to do something special with it to test it. At
> present I can=20
> only run it with two disks as I only have two reliable hotswap cradles,
> I have=20
> access to three more disks but I must buy more cradles before I can use
> them.=20

I really can't think of anything except getting us a traceback if you
can make it panic.

thanks a ton!
--=20