Date:      Sun, 08 Apr 2012 09:59:53 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba34-3.4.14

On 04/08/12 00:02, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 7 April 2012 13:51, Da Rock<freebsd-ports@herveybayaustralia.com.au>  wrote:
>> On 04/06/12 13:20, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Can you show the build output? Port should't directly dipend from
>>> anything like this.
>> Sorry, it was on a clients system and I couldn't get the info across. I can
>> only say for sure that installing libnet fixed the issue.
>>
>> The build error was an undeclared function or const (most likely const) that
>> was supplied by libnet.
>>
>> Sorry I can't tell you any more information; I emailed this to notify of the
>> fix, and for others if they come across the issue in the future. Googling
>> was what put me on to this fix as well.
> If you could give some idea of the site that advised this, that could
> probably help too.

Again, my apologies. Let me try this again and see if I can be a little
more organised with my description.

This was a clean, fresh install on an amd64 (Atom cpu, although I did
try on a real cpu too). I tried 3.6 first, it didn't build. Then I tried
3.5, when that didn't work (same error) I looked at the handbook and it
was still on 3.4, and during my googling I noticed that there could be
an issue with incompatibility with the libsmbclient; so I reverted to
3.4. It didn't build either, and they all had the same error.

So I googled some more on this error, but there wasn't much on it at
all. I did notice a lot of comments on samba, tdb, and libnet, and there
was a clue in the error of a libnet dependency (sorry I just can't
remember, so much has happened in the 24 hr period); so I tried
installing libnet and then built samba 3.4 (to avoid further issues and
conflicts) and presto! it all built.

That was the day prior to my post, and I figured someone could run a
clean build and find this as well; failing that, someone would come
across this again in the future. As you can see it wasn't anything in
particular that set me on this, just a hunch I followed and lucked out
on a resolution, but it worked :)

I hope that helps someone...