Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:25:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Pete <hideaway@dashells.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual processors.

On Monday, 18 January 1999 at 22:48:06 -0500, Pete wrote:
> Hi,
> I have:
> dual amd 300
>
> Runs pretty nice but i realized i386 is 16 bit thus using one processor (i
> think, correct me if i'm wrong here).

You're wrong.  The i386 is 32 bits, and it has nothing to do with the
number of processors you have.  You seem to be somewhat confused.
There are several different concepts here:

1.  The processor you're using.  The AMD processor you have has the
    i386 architecture, so you need i386.
2.  The number of processors you have.  I didn't think that AMD
    supported dual processors, which makes me wonder what you really
    have.
3.  The compiler, a piece of software which translates source code
    into object and ultimately executable code.
4.  The version of FreeBSD you're using.  You don't mention this, but
    you should have.

> Do I need some kind of patch to use both processors?

You need FreeBSD 3.0 or later.

> How do i Compile the system with*OUT* i386?

Buy and alpha and run it on that.  Not what you want to do.

> so it will use both compilers?

There's only one compiler.  That's not the problem.

Greg