Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:16:12 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finding "PMake - A Tutorial"

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 04:19:02PM -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 11:31 PM +0000 11/24/00, Nik Clayton wrote:
> >My general feeling is that if people want to build the docs from source
> >then they should track the CVS tree.  If they just want to install
> >the documentation then use the tarballs or the packages from the FTP
> >site.
> >
> >As ever, I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise.
>
> Tracking the CVS tree is a higher level of involvement than many
> users are interested in - just installing a "stable" release on
> occasion is about the right level for most users.  So, by your
> theory, folks who want this level of involvement should be able
> to say that they want all the source code installed by clicking
> a button, but should have to FTP and unpack each tarball?

Folks who just want the documentation on their system should use the
packages, as described at

    http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/preface.html#DOC-FORMATS

which includes an example of using pkg_add to download and install the
most recent version of the FAQ.

> Let's make it EASY for folks to have good, complete docs.  Or am
> I missing the point of this exercise?

Short of fiddling with sysinstall, that's about as easy as I can make
it.  What else would you like it to do?