Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:28:39 GMT
From:      Jim Salter <sendpr@jrssystems.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/83384: failure of non-essential IDE partitions can panic the system

>Number:         83384
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       failure of non-essential IDE partitions can panic the system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
ATA or SATA IDE hard drives with bad sectors in a UFS2 partition can panic the system when the bad sectors are written to, even if the partition (or entire physical drive) in question does not contain programs or data vital to the actual functioning of the system.  I have observed this problem on the machine shown in the uname output above as well as on a 5.2.1-RELEASE amd64 machine, with multiple 200GB PATA and 160GB SATA drives that turned out to be slightly damaged.  The failure is independent of drive controller or cable.

ad6: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status: 51 <READY, DSC, ERROR> error: 10 <NID_NOT_FOUND> LBA=268435435

The above message repeats a large number of times, followed eventually with:

panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling_deps
>How-To-Repeat:
Find an ATA or SATA hard drive with bad sectors on it that will give NID_NOT_FOUND errors if the bad sectors are written to.  Install it in a FreeBSD 5.x machine.  Attempt to write a file to the bad sectors.

NOTE: using dd to overwrite the bad sectors does not produce a system panic.  Only attempting to write a file to the filesystem on the bad sectors produces the panic.
>Fix:
The only fix I know of is to deliberately write a small file over the bad sectors, bring the system up after the panic, and then rename the file "BAD_SECTORS_HERE" and avoid it like leprosy.  Or, of course, replace the drive.