Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 21:21:24 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: changing mac address

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 03:42:35AM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> You want a sort of 'virtual' interface that allows the attachment of other
> real (or maybe other 'virtual' interfaces) beneath it.  This interface
> implements a number of policies regarding how it routes packets addressed
> to it.
>
> The two distinct policies I can think of at this time are:
>
> - channel bonding/trunking
> - redundant link

VRRP support would be nice (a la RFC2338 -- it's an openly-specified
version of cisco's HSRP). I keep meaning to delve into the specifics of
this, but if it's like HSRP it supports two address alias strategies --
one moves the "virtual router" IP address between two real routers'
MAC addresses (by re-ARPing) and the other shifts the virtual router
MAC address between the real routers.

Moving the MAC address generally works better on ciscos, and is the
default behaviour if the routers involved have firmware that supports
soft ethernet addresses. But that's quite possibly due to the rather
broken cisco ARP implementation (at least in interop with suns).

This is perhaps another application for (a) soft MAC addressing on
cards that support it, and (b) the idea of a "virtual"-type
interface, perhaps tied to a specific driver.

Joe