Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:32:39 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Peter Avalos <pavalos@theshell.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ypserv giving out encrypted passwords

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 11:20:22AM -0500, Peter Avalos wrote:
> Why? That just doesn't make sense to me. The master has to give the whole
> map to the slave, and the slave server should still be acting as a server.
> It shouldn't be dealing out the encrypted passwords to non-privileged ports.

You're mistaking NIS for an inteligent protocol. ;-)  NIS does one thing
and one thing only.  Given the name of a domain and the name of a map
within that name it returns one or more request name value pairs from
that map.  It does nothing else and has no symantic knowledge of those
name value pairs.  FreeBSD appears to have a hack to implement shadow
passwd support, but it's definatly a non-standard hack.  The security
model for NIS consists of two things being able to connect to the server
and knowing the domain.  That's it.

-- Brooks