Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 06:18:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        Jeremy Fincher <jfincher@cinci.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't use internet after recompiling kernel

Jeremy Fincher <jfincher@cinci.rr.com> writes:

> Now, I do have a few questions: First of all, why is something with
> "security and privacy implications" required for something as simple as
> dhcp?

Mostly because DHCP isn't really that simple.  It requires you to be
able to send and receive packets without having an address of your
own, which is kind of a hack around some basic concepts of IP.  In
other systems, I've implemented other kinds of work-arounds that I
think are more aesthetically pleasant, but they're still hacks to an
IP purist.

Also, I'll bet you don't understand the security and privacy
implications described by that passage.  In my opinion, they affect
very few people.  [For example, if someone has physical access to
reboot the machine from a floppy, the "security" implications of BPF
are irrelevant.]

> Then I ran Linux for at least a month.  Every single time I rebooted, I
> would end up with a new IP address.  Everytime.  It was not nice; I
> constantly had to tell my friends my new IP address when they wanted any
> files from me, or wanted to play quake3 on my server.

Don't use an IP address for this.  Use a domain name.  If your ISP
isn't keeping your DNS name stable, that's a separate problem, but IP
addresses aren't *intended* to be human-friendly, and under DHCP,
they're not intended to be (dependably) stable, either.

> My first question about this is why are these operating systems
> different?

Unless you've done more configuration of your FreeBSD DHCP
configuration, I'd be surprised if they are, in the way you're saying
(FreeBSD getting more-stable addresses than Linux).  More likely, your
ISP has just stabilized their address database in the meantime.

> My second, is can I look forward to those weeks (or more) of IP address
> stability that I got in NT, even rebooting at least once a day or so?

It's unlikely you have any control over this.  You can talk to your
ISP and ask about setting client identifiers, but if you have a
hardware address (e.g., ethernet), that's probably the only clue they
use in picking your IP address.  It can't hurt to ask, though.  The
dhcp client does allow you to twiddle any options that the ISP wants.

> Ok, and also, the linux netscape seemed much more stable in linux than
> the freebsd netscape seems in freebsd.  Should I try the linux netscape
> in emulation mode?

Sure.  It may not help, but there's no reason not to try.

Be well.