Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:28:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dial-up with Internal Modem

> Ok...I give up. whats the trick?
>
> Mind you that I haven't spent too much time on this...but the docs are
> clearly outdated
> and something is odd.
>
> I have an internal USR 28.8 modem installed in a 2.1 box...with cu I can
> dial-in, dial-out pass good data, no problem. When I run a getty it and
> dial-in it  puts out 1 line of shit
> and then nothing.
>
> whats getty doing....does rc.serial need to be modified....this...should be
> easy...I thought.

Well, I configure modems as follows:

1) full hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS, DTR, CD all enabled, etc)
2) locked port rate (384/576/115200)
3) set modem to reset to default state on CD drop/DTR raise or whatever it
   is capable of, if it is capable of it.
4) reset gettytab to do 8n1 (I don't think the default is).
5) go.  :-)

90% of what I do is to make sure that the modem is in a "compatible" mode
with what I am trying to do...  if you can cu to the modem, you either have
a messed up gettytab, ttys, or the modem is thinking that the computer wants
to be talking at a different speed than reality.

... Joe