Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 09:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Milan Andric <mandric@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nfs and ipfw

On Thu, 10 May 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:10:34 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Milan Andric <mandric@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
>
> >Can't you just allow udp from you nfs server ip?
> >in rc.firewall:
>
> >${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${ip} to NFS-SERVER
> >${fwcmd} add pass udp from NFS-SERVER to ${ip}
>
> >Milan
>
> >On Thu, 10 May 2001, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> >> Not only difficult but leaves large enough holes in your firewall to
> >> drive a Mack truck though it.
>
> Yup; that would qualify as "large enough holes in your firewall to drive
> a Mack truck though it".  At least.  (Was it your intent to provide an
> example of what Cy wrote...?)
>
> Actually, if you want all UDP to flow unhindered, why bother with a
> "firewall"??!?
<newbie>
to limit it by ip, and wouldn't a reverse lookup keep people from
spoofing?
</newbie>

vpn is not currently an option here, so how else does one deal
with nfs? Isn't it the most common way to share in unix environments?
So it's probably a common problem.  How do we deal with it sanely?
If the answer is "don't use it."  i'll accept that.. but it's not very
helpful to those that are hooked.