Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:07:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg showing wrong frequency (IBM T30)

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:12:39 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hi
>
> On my IBM T30 1.8GHz, dmesg (with both 4.8 and 5.1) shows me this line:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.8GHz (1196.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> Various windows utilities also claim that the cpu identification string
> marks my cpu as 1.8 GHz unit, while the maximum frequency always gets
> detected as something just below 1.2GHz.
>
> What is wrong here? To other IBM T30 users: Is your CPU identification
> correct?

Were you on AC or battery when you booted?

It seems that the T30 (and many other laptops from multiple vendors)
does not change the CPU speed when APM/ACPI from FreeBSD tells it
to. If I boot on battery, my system stays at 1.2 GHz and if I boot on
AC power, the system runs 1.8 GHz. Changes to the power source made
after it is up seem to have no effect.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)