Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        FBSD <fbsd@unimatrixzero.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems installing 6.1-RELEASE on Dell PowerEdge 1855

   Well, it probably is an mpt supported card, not an amr supported card.  Dell
just puts a label onto whatever chip is cheap and happens to fit the profile for
whatever server they are making.  And PCI device ids are mapped to each driver,
so this is rarely ever wrong.

   Additionally, the mpt driver is probably not as good as the amr driver.  mpt
is still pretty new, and it seems like some of the mpt supported controllers are
a bit unusual.  IBM blades have mpt supported controllers too, and they are
pretty useless, so we are booting from SAN instead.  But IBM blades do not have
hotswappable disks, unless you use up a blade slot for disks, which reduces the
blade density quite a bit.

Tom