Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      lord henry <zeno@interport.net>
To:        Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further question on the sony viao

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
> my /var/run/dmesg.boot says:
>
> | sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> | Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)
> |
> | NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
> | snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
>
> The corresponding lines from /sys/i386/conf/VAIO are:
>
> | controller snd0
> | device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
>
> (sbvxvi0 and sbmidi0 are commented out)
and now it works for me, thanks!
turns out i'd put the sbvxvi0 and sbmidi drivers in as well, which broke
things.

> > if anyone else is toying w/ one of these, i'd also like to point out that
> > the PSM_HOOKAPM and PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND options are a GOOD idea if you
> > plan on using the touchpad after suspending ;)
>
> Hm. I don't seem to need any of those, but i've only suspended the
> laptop via FN+F12 yet.
i'm actually very suprised by this -- it might be a quirk particular to
3.3, but i most definately needed those options.

also,  Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it> wrote:

> Best bet: switch off USB keyboard support in the BIOS and switch on USB
> conroller (if that is at all switchable). Let me/us know whether that
> worked for you.

i couldn't find any USB-related options in the BIOS, though i might have
missed something... either way, it doesn't matter at this point, as i
don't have any USB devices to play w/.

just kinda felt like trying freeBSD USB support out a bit.

thanks to everyone for your suggestions; now that sound is working, i'm
more than content w/ the viao.

though, i did have on other question: if anyone out there is also using
the 505tx, i'd love to find out whether you ever got the extended battery
working -- it quite a bit larger than the 3 hour battery, but i still get
only 3 hours of power out of it. very odd.
   kieran