Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 12:24:50 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com)
Subject:   shared IP address ?

<<On Mon, 10 Apr 1995 12:44:00 EST, M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com> said:

>   While talking to the guy there, he said the router's port is assigned to
>   the address 203.13.47.32, and he said that it is a 'shared' IP address
>   which I will have to set on my side as well. This sounds a bit confusing
>   to me as I haven't played around much with router, and let alone this
>   concept of 'shared' IP address.

What he said is partially bogus, but I'll see if I can make sense of
what you're trying to do.

>   3) ifconfig sl0 inet up 203.13.47.32 203.13.47.32 netmask 255.255.255.0

This simply cannot work.

>   1) ifconfig sl0 inet up 203.13.47.32 netmask 255.255.255.0

That this did not return an error is a bug in the kernel and will be
fixed shortly.

>   I am really lost here, since he said it's not a point to point link, and
>   it's not a SLIP link, so what am I supposed to do to get my box talking to
>   his Annex if I am not running slattach or ppp ?

Sounds like your ISP has hired some really IP-clueless people in tech
support.

My guess, based on what you have told me, is that you really need to
do the following:

- Figure out another address that his box responds to.  I would
suggest 203.13.47.3[13] as likely candidates.

- Properly configure your SLIP interface:

# ifconfig sl0 inet 203.13.47.32 other-address-figured-out-above

It does not make sense to specify a netmask on a point-to-point
interface, although the current code invents a bogus one anyway.
This probably should get fixed one day.  In your case, the bogus one
that the system invents is the same as the bogus one that you
specified, so you might as well leave it off.  (The system's current
behavior allows users to route packets to the other end without
actually establishing a route saying that the other end is the right
place to send them, so there is probably someone out there depending
on the broken behavior.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.