Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:35:17 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indiscriminately installing all .h files in /usr/include/*

phk@phk.freebsd.dk wrote:
> In message <20030210114740.GG5355@starjuice.net>, Sheldon Hearn writes:
> >On (2003/02/08 14:31), phk@phk.freebsd.dk wrote:
> >
> >> Not being the kind of guy who casually walks through /usr/include
> >> once in a while, I only now just discovered that "make installincludes"
> >> indiscriminately installs all .h files under /usr/include.
> >>
> >> I understand the desirablity of simple makefile magic for this task,
> >> but couldn't we agree on some sort of magic-marker to put in files
> >> we want or don't want installed in /usr/include ?
> >
> >Could you give some specific examples of files you wouldn't want
> >installed by this target?
>
> geom/geom.h for starters.
>
> Other examples:
> 	cam/cam_extend.h
> 	cam/cam_periph.h
> 	cam/cam_queue.h

I've been wondering if we need an explicit list of files to install for
a while.  We've got lots of junk in /usr/include/dev/* that really shouldn't
be there.  The only stuff that should be there are things to define
sysctl, ioctl etc user interfaces.  Things like hardware register definitions
and random driver internals definitions do not really belong there.
/usr/include/usb/* is a good example.  We do similar bad things for the
file systems.

Cheers,
-Peter