Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 1995 17:39:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP prioritized packet queueing..

Heikki's recent fix to if_ppp.c for properly supporting IPTOS_LOWDELAY
connections got me thinking - does ijppp, which uses the tunneling
driver, do something similar?

I've long thought that it would be _really nice_ if I could continue
to use my interactive telnet/rlogin sessions while running an ftp or
sup in the background and not have them become unusably unresponsive,
which is what happens now.  In an ideal world, you'd continue to type
away with almost no perception that anything else was happening and
anything from an ftp to a long WWW transfer could be going on in the
background simultaneously.

This is especially important for households where one machine is
serving as the PPP gateway with a 28.8K modem or something and several
machines are on an internal network to it.  User A is trying to read
his email and commit something important on freefall and meanwhile
users B and C, who are actually down the hall and locked in their
bedrooms, are surfing the web and seeing how many porno GIFs they can
download before user A comes stomping down the hall yelling "WOULD YOU
GUYS KINDLY STOP SPAMMING THE %*&#$@!! LINK WHILE I'M TRYING TO USE IT
FOR INTERACTIVE WORK?!!"

Or something to that effect.  Not that there's anything
autobiographical in the above example.. :-)

Atsushi?  Are those of us who are happily using ijppp just out
of luck here?

					Jordan