Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:45:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
To:        Bill Flamerola <flamerola@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The problem with FreeBSD

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Bill Flamerola wrote:

> Okay, this is not really intended as a flame, but kinda necessary, given the
> current situation in the FreeBSD camp.

If its neccesary, then stand up and use your real name. Messages are not
carried around here by anonymous emailers.

> Jordan Hubbard left, Mike Smith left. Why?

Because, honestly, FreeBSD got old for them? People leave. Get over it.

> What's the
> prefered game in #bsdcode? Right, flaming Terry Lambert.

Actually,I don;t think thats the case, a number of times I've said that I
like Terry's posts. Sometimes informative, sometimes entertaining,
sometimes a little too obvous trolling. I think theres only one fault with
Terry :) (forgive me Terry, because I've learned a lot from you). And that
problem is that he has to say something about everything :)

Many peopleon #bsdcode have come to Terry's defense.

> Terry may not be
> perfect, but he has *never* insulted anyone, he's a nice person to talk to,
> and pretty often comes up with nice ideas.

Yep.

> I'm talking to you, fucking Hiten Pandya, damned asshole.

Hiten is young, he'll learn, since when does Hiten have any say in the
direction of FreeBSD as a whole?

> And I'm talking to you, stupid Alfred Perlstein.
> Alfred is an interesting person. He seems to be drunk most of the time, has
> never contributed anything important to the project, yet he likes to flame
> around all the time.

As someone who has known Alfred a long time, yes, he can be an asshole, he
also does a hell of a lot of work, is willing to do "grunt" work, and
while these aren;t huge projects, he's filled in where needed. That says
so much more for his willingness to actually do something to advance the
project as a whole.

> Matthew Dillon is one of the few hackers worth his salt, what does he get in
> return? A 5 day commit bit suspension. Matt, please, join NetBSD, they need
> help in the SMP code, and leave all these hypocrites alone.

Matt makes his decisions based on what Matt wants to do. The commit bit
thing has been going on ever since I can remember. If Matt wanted to
leave, he would have done so long ago. One of the reasons I admire Matt so
much is because he keeps going despite the politics.

> To the rest of the people, jump shit now, and join NetBSD while you can.
> FreeBSD is not worth the hassle.

TIme for you to jump ship or show yourself for who you are, instead of
being a coward and hiding behind a hotmail address.

-Trish

--
Trish Lynch					trish@bsdunix.net
FreeBSD						The Power to Serve