Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:59:04 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/43567: strtod() core dumps

On 2002-Oct-01 16:37:23 -0400, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
>Can you try rebuilding libc with -miee?
>
>Eg:
>
>.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "alpha"
>CFLAGS += -mieee
>.endif
>

>I think that should probably go into bsd.lib.mk
>
>People might complain becase that slows down fp operations, but if
>people care about performance, they should really be using the compaq
>libm anyhow.

I'd like to see us build 2 FP libraries, one '-mieee' and one without,
with the "compiler" selecting the appropriate library based on the
presence of -mieee during linking - which is what Compaq CC does.
This gives you a choice of fast and dodgy or slow and correct.

In any case, strtod("5e-304", NULL) should always return 5e-304, it
shouldn't give an exception unless the user has specifically asked for
inexact exceptions.

Peter