Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:05:26 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Chuck McCrobie <mccrobie@cablespeed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Fujitsu MB89352

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:52:00AM -0400, Chuck McCrobie wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu PCMCIA SCSI card which identifies itself as "EIGER LAB
> EPX-SS1000".  Having no success identifying a driver, I took the card
> apart and found a "Fujitsu MB89352" SCSI controller chip.
>
> Evidently, NetBSD has support for this chip and presumbly, the card.  My
> question is this:
>
> 1.  Is anyone working on support for the Fujitsu MB89352 chip?

Cannot say.  I didn't know that such a beast existed.

> 2.  How hard is it to port the NetBSD driver over?
> 	a.  Are host bus adapter drivers compatible between NetBSD and FreeBSD?

Not in the least, tiniest bit.  The biggest difference is in the SCSI
layers of the two.  Porting it would not be a trivial task.  Your best
bet is to start a new driver, and use the NetBSD one as a reference.

> 	b.  What would be a good driver to get the skeleton of a host bus
> adapter
> 		can "drop-in" the MB89352 support?

There are no skeleton drivers out there that I know of.  Daemonnews
had an article two years ago about how to write a CAM driver (CAM is
the SCSI layer in FreeBSD), but I can't find the link at the
moment.  There are several well-written drivers in the tree right
now that can be used as reference, like the aic7xxx driver.

> My ultimate goal is to get a Linux (ugh!) driver for this chip so I can
> use it with my Sharp Zaurus ;)
>
> So, my next questions:
>
> 1.  Is anyone here familiar with the Linux SCSI host adapter drivers?

You don't want to get involved with Linux SCSI drivers.  The Linux
SCSI layer is very poorly designed and written, even by Linux
standards.

> 2.  Which is an easier port - if there is such a thing:
> 	a.  FreeBSD -> Linux
> 	b.  NetBSD -> Linux

All three OS's are very different beasts.  Porting to Linux will be
the most frustrating task by a large margin.  You'll be much happier
sticking to filesystems =-)

Scott