Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2018 00:48:44 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Failed attempt to boot a (non-debug) head -r339076 on an old PowerMac G5 "Quad Core" (built via devel/powerpc64-gcc): Waking up CPU 1

[I finally have access to old PowerMacs again. The below
is based on my environment for experimenting with building
via more modern C/C++ compilers with matching toolchains.
The build here was via a cross build from amd64 via
devel/powerpc64-gcc .]

When I attempt to boot the PowerMac G5 "Quad Core"
with my head -r339076 build it gets as far a reporting
(based on boot -v output):

. . .
ada0: (I'll not list the 5 ada0: lines)
GEOM: new disk cd0
GEOM: new disk ada0
Adding CPU 0, hwref=ff89d680, awake=1
Waking up CPU 1 (dev=ff89eb70)

That is the last of the output. After a while the fans
wind up. (The text is hand translated from a picture
of the screen.)

Without the "boot -v" the "ada0:" lines are the last to
show.

The build is a non-debug build (with symbols). I've
not tried a debug kernel build yet. It may be a while
before I will get to. Nor have I tried a gcc 4.2.1
based build yet.

At this point I do not have a clue what is going on.
This early in the boot I'm not sure how or if I'll
get a clue. (I've never had serial console access
on the old PowerMac's, which contributes to the messy
context.)

I do have in place in the variation used of src.conf:
LOADER_DEFAULT_INTERP=4th

The PowerMac G5 used does boot fine with the boot disk
I had experimented with back in May (or before).

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went