Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:48:24 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem

Roger Marquis wrote:

> Mehmet Hinc <marduk@pozitif.net> wrote:
> > Stop in /usr/ports/net/bind8.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > What ??????????? Why??????????? I updated my ports and tried to install
> > bind8.2.3 because bind8.2.2 has had a vulnerability , so While I was
> > installing it, I had a error msgs. (in the up)
> > please let me know How can I fix it !!!
>
> Bind was written on BSD.  What's the point of using a port to
> upgrade it?  All FreeBSD's bind port does is increase your chances
> of errors, reduce your system's overall QA, and install duplicate
> files in non-standard places.

You completely and utterly fail to understand how the ports system works.
What FreeBSD's bind port really does is decrease your chance of errors,
increase your systems's overall QA, install all of the bind configuration
and executable files in standard FreeBSD locations, track which files
were installed and allow you to deinstall them simply, and provide a
one-stop upgrade path.

> The following steps have worked
> flawlessly over this and several bind upgrades:
>
>   cd /tmp
>   fetch ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.3/bind-src.tar.gz
>   tar xzvf bind-src.tar.gz
>   cd src
>   make install
>   killall named
>   named
>   ps auxww | grep named
>   cd /tmp
>   rm -rf src bind-src.tar.gz

Versus

    cd /usr/ports/net/bind8
    make install

Or, for an upgrade,

    make deinstall reinstall

Oh, yes, that simplifies things quite nicely.