Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:31:01 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>, freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving to the new website redesign

--2OzUYMsT4j3Kc+NU

On Thursday, 15 September 2005 at 14:15:09 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Joel Dahl wrote:

>>> the fonts are pretty small on a screen with a higher resolution.
>>>
>>> I did not check, but an absolut font size (10pt) helps here a lot.
>>
>> You can adjust the text-size, check the upper-right corner on the
>> website.

Right, but the layout suffers.  Take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Day/20050915/webpage.gif, which shows how it
renders on my 2048x1536 monitor.  The links at top right overlap, and
the right column below overflows the box.  If I increase the character
size further, numerous fields overlap.  I don't know how long it will
be before real high-res monitors come into being (though I suspect
that the weaknesses of HTML will hold them up), but when they do this
will be even worse.

Before you say that this is ridiculously large text, it isn't.
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Day/20050915/webpage-1024x768.gif shows the
size it would be on a 1024x768 screen.

Note that the old web page doesn't have this problem, even with
extreme character sizes.

> There would be no need for this if absolute values for the size
> would be used.

I thought so too, until I set the screen size on my home projector
system.  Then I got images like
http://wwww.lemis.com/grog/Day/20050831/firefox.gif.  Look at the
headings: they're 10 pt, but on a 2.5 metre wide screen (11 dpi!)
they're completely illegible.

The real problem is that HTML renders individual parts of the screen
individually.  There are so many areas where that doesn't work; PDF
doesn't have the same issues.  But that's another rant.

Greg

--2OzUYMsT4j3Kc+NU

--2OzUYMsT4j3Kc+NU--