Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:05:58 +0000
From:      void <float@firedrake.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   LINT vs. ipcs

LINT and the ipcs command seem to disagree on some points, like the
meaning of shmall (bytes vs. pages).  In all examples, I've put the
quote from LINT followed by the excerpted output from ipcs -M or -S.

  options         SHMALL=1025     # max amount of shared memory (bytes)
 vs.
  shmall:    1024 (max amount of shared memory in pages)

Also, some values are very different:

  options         SHMMNI=33       # max number of shared memory identifiers
 vs.
  shmmni:      96 (max number of shared memory identifiers)

whereas many others are just off by one:

  options         SEMMNU=31       # number of undo structures in the system
 vs.
  semmnu:     30  (# of undo structures in system)

What I really want to know is, what do all these LINT variables mean?  I
have a user who needs more semaphores and shm segments configured, and I
want to make sure I tune the right ones.  Apparent candidates are
SHMMNI, SHMSEG, SEMMNI, SEMMNS, and SEMMSL.

--
 Ben

220 go.ahead.make.my.day ESMTP Postfix