Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:10:05 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> It isn't difficult to support 802.3. The problem is in setting it from the
> userlevel. If it is just a kernel compile time option it should be easy. I
> have thought of using one of the link flags in the ifnet structure, then
> you can just add it to the ifconfig commandline. It would mean the minimum
> changes. I think you would only need to change if_ethersubr.c then.
>
> What do the rest of the people think?
>
> John
> --
> John Hay -- John.Hay@csir.co.za

Hi All,

  This is my first post to the FreeBSD effort, so please comply if
say something wrong.

  I saw in the kernel configuration file a broken (???) support for
IEEE LLC, which would also mean for IEEE 802.3 frames.  If this is
working (or get fixed), the only difference to select IPX 802.3
Frames would be the SAP Addresses, which should be both 0xFF.

  I really don't know how is this section implemented, but this
would be easy to do only by adding a SAP entry to another kernel
section.  That is, one multiplex in the Typespec level, detecting
frame types below 1500, and one another at LLC level, detecting
SAPs of 0xFF.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@coe.ufrj.br