Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:22:27 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        John Michelini <mick3@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Window managers

John Michelini wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know where I could begin reading about how to DEVELOP window
> managers?  Lots of info on installing/figging, but nothing on the
> architecture.

I'm actually in the middle of writing one myself. Information on writing
window managers is pretty scarce. Your two main sources of info will be
O'Reilly's "Xlib Programming Manual" and the actual source code of
different WMs. Look over the source for some simple yet clearly written
window managers first. aewm is a good one written in C, and Sapphire is
a good one written in C++ (actually, Sapphire is heavily based on aewm).
wm2 is also nice. Window managers don't actually do a heck of a lot, but
what they do is not immediately obvious or straightforward.

David