Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:04:54 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        all@biosys.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

> Tom's reply stated that if you turned auto-negotiation off by forcing a
> speed/duplex setting on either end that it would cause problems.  This
> simply isn't true because you can't turn auto-negotating off, and forcing a
> speed/duplex setting doesn't do this.. what it does do is forces the other
> end to negotiate this setting, if it is available.  The negotiation still
> occurs.

It's certainly possible that we're using the wrong terminology. The
observation still stands (supported by *lots* of examples in practice):
If you manually set duplex at one end, and leave it unconfigured (ie.
auto-negotiation) at the other end, you will often get a duplex mismatch.

Please don't try to claim that this doesn't happen. It does - even with
new equipment from well known manufacturers.