Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:33:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1) & forwarded message ...

Justin T. Gibbs writes:
> >The second is on the 50 pin socket on the motherboard, and runs to an
> >expansion socket (50pin HD), and then to an external
> >scanner.
> So the bus is not "T-ed" at the motherboard's 50pin connector?

Not unless I've badly misunderstood the SCSI spec. There are two
cables connected to the motherboard, which should mean I've got a
straight bus. The old SCSI-1 stuff is on the 68-pin cable because
routing a cable past those and then to the external expanion would
nearly double the length of the internal cables.

> Just wanted to make sure that having the single ended bus terminated,
> as the driver reported, is correct.

Sounds right. The devices on the cable plugged into the LVD socket are
reported as SSE by the BIOS boot message, and that cable is indeed
terminated. It came from the system integrators that way. Is that
wrong?

> >> When the system hangs, if you are at the console, can you drop
> >> into the debugger.  You must have options DDB in your kernel
> >> to try this.
> >Are you just curious about whether or not I can, or is there something
> >specific you'd like to know? If the former, the system is still
> >responding to interrupts - it echos characters and answers to
> >pings. Does that answer the question?
> A stack trace from the hung system would be useful.
> <Ctrl-Alt-Esc>
> db> trace

Well, I couldn't get it into the debugger, but I'm not familiar with
the DDB. Ctrl-Alt-Esc does nothing - which is what it does at the
single-user shell prompt as well. Do I need to go multi-user to enable
this?

Also, this time (I rebuilt with sources I supped today), I got a
series of error messages I'd not seen before:

(da1:ahc0:0:1:0) SCB 0x6 - timed out in Data-in phase, seqadr == 0x85
(da1:ahc0:0:1:0) other SCB Timeout
(da1:ahc0:0:0:0) SCB 0x3 - timed out in Data-in phase, seqadr == 0x85
(da1:ahc0:0:0:0) BDR message in message buffer
(da1:ahc0:0:0:0) SCB 0x3 - timed out in Data-in phase, seqadr == 0x85
(da1:ahc0:0:0:0) no longer in timeout, status = 34b
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 2 SCBs aborted

This sequence (with minor variations in the SCB and seqadr numbers,
but not the final status) repeated three or four times while I was
trying to get it into the debugger.

	Thanx,
	<mike