Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:57:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   127.1 and "localhost"  (name resolution problem.)

I just discovered this on 2.2.1+ (dated 970510) - so it may not be
in 2.2.2.

But, I just tried to "ping localhost"  to discover it couldn't be
resolved.

# ping localhost
ping: unknown host localhost

 Now - I have no name servers; /etc/host.conf is set to go to
the hosts file, which contains:

127.1           localhost.water.net localhost

 But - If I replace that line with:

127.0.0.1           localhost.water.net localhost

 Everything works fine.  I suggest that, until this problem
is fixed,  we use 127.0.0.1 in any automated generation of
/etc/hosts... I'm not sure where mine came from; it could be an
older installation (e.g. upgrades...)

 If someone happens to be poking around in /etc/hosts resolution
code; I'd be interested in knowning why this didn't work...

	- Dave Rivers -