Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:38:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pty's and slattach

On 16:59:57 Paul Traina wrote:
>>As a side note, you should really use the if_tun driver with *nos instead
>of running slip between the two machines over the PTY port.  It's *much*
>more efficient.

Yes, no doubt its more efficient. But we're talking about thruputs of up to
300 bytes per second. The CPU horsepower available in anything that runs
FreeBSD should be enough to make any inefficiency almost unmeasurable.

On the other hand, this code, TNOS, has its own SL/IP engine in its network
stack that is supposed to work if pointed at a real serial port and SL/IP
connection on the other end. Rather than run it out a precious sio port
(hopefully) the thing to do is to use a cheap pty pair. Thats what they do
with that "other" Un*x. Haven't actually tried it yet with real serial ports.
Have run it out a real serial port to my radios with IP, but SL/IP isn't
used there.

Tried running a hacked slattach to bypass the earlier problem with TIOCSCTTY

 ./slattach -e "echo died" -l -L /dev/ptypf

And got this in /var/log/messages:

Sep 13 20:44:52 nexgen slattach[274]: ioctl(TIOCSDTR):
Inappropriate ioctl for device
Sep 13 20:44:52 nexgen slattach[274]: exiting after running echo died

Hmm. Don't have TNOS running on the other end to catch it yet. Is it Friday
the 13th yet?

Meanwhile, where would one find docs on tun devices? I *would* really like
to avoid this pty stuff and solve the real problem. Does the tun device
require root privilege to connect? I'd guess so. And that brings us back
to the slattach or ppp technique thru a pty as too many things are running
in TNOS for the whole thing to run as root.

Those who would like to know more about TNOS might start at
http://www.lantz.com

73,
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)