Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:38:34 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DES & MD5

I'm in the process of blowing away the last Linux box on our network,
and to this effect I installed DES on the new system, for the old password
file.

The thing is, I'd like to have:

- old passwords encrypted with DES (that works OK)
- new passwords encrypted with MD5 (which doesn't work -- they get created
  as DES, unless I manually stick "$1$" in the beginning of the password
  field.

Is there a way to force MD5 generation, for any password change/creation,
with or without the salt ?

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-

               The Internet is busy.  Please try again later.