Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Steve <steve@piperscreek.com>
Cc:        freebsdquestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help  CD not recognized on install  / try #7

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Steve wrote:

> Anyone willing to give this one a shot?
>
> I recently purchased The Complete FreeBSD with the 3.2 / 4 CD ROM set from
> Walnut Creek.
>
> I have tried to install it, but I keep coming up with this No CD-ROM device
> found error.
> I went back to check on the kernel settings and tried each the three
> supported devices as best as I could .. no success.

I'm pretty sure this is a known issue, my suggestion is to try the
cdrom on different IDE chains, meaning, try to move it to the first
IDE controller.

Make sure the cdrom drive's jumpers are set correctly for the IDE
position it is in, i've seen some incorrectly configured IDE cdrom's
work in windows when the jumpers are set wrong, but this is a no-go
in FreeBSD.

If you can try the other permutations of setting up the cdrom you
may find one that works for you.

good luck,
-Alfred