Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 21:15:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@infopuls.com, alpha@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: Alpha support is being retired in 7.0

[I've just realised that I broke my e-mail a few weeks ago and mutt
 has been helpfully and invisibly inserting a "Mail-Followup-To"
 line that includes an address that won't work.  Thanks to Wilko
 for (inadvertently) drawing my attention to it and apologies for
 any bounces.  I hope I've fixed it.]

On Fri, 2006-May-19 11:41:54 +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>One thing that I have been pondering is that for Alpha you will now have to
>directly commit things onto RELENG_[56] without going to HEAD first.
>
>After all, there is no buildable Alpha support in HEAD anymore.
>
>I think this is a first in FreeBSD, which makes it interesting..

There have been device drivers that have been lost in -current before
so it not a totally novel concept but this is the first architecture
to have been dropped.

>Well.. if you just count the problems with unaligned accesses etc
>I wonder if SPARC64 fills that gap?  I just don't know enough about
>SPARC64 here, mind you.

SPARC definitely requires aligned accesses.  I'm not sure what Sun
did with the SPARC64.  The other option is to set the "alignment
checking" bit on i386.

--
Peter Jeremy