Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 95 11:46:04 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

I understand your concern about demand dial but I do not see it
as a problem. PPP can assume ie. trap on any address it wants
as that is a "local" issue but it should use the value
set by ifaddr for negotiation because that involves another party.

Suppose the provider accepted the 192.0.0.1 address and arp'd
it (mine did). How does the provider know that for freebsd machines the magic
"I want an IP" address is 192.0.0.1
Some providers offer both rotory and fixed IP service we just can't tell
them to change for fbsd. I have tried it did not work :-)

 If this is an issue for demand dial maybe an option could be
put in to skip the "non-intuitive" behavior for that.

something like:
if( demand dial && (myaddr == 0.0.0.0))
	map 0.0.0.0. to 192.0.0.1

its a step in the right direction