Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 06:31:54 -0500
From:      Chris <kingsqueak@home.com>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin Material

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 09:12:16AM +0100, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> > for the budding sys admin. well, thier are a few others, such as craig
> > hunts tcp/ip admin, but i new noting about tcp/ip when i came to
>
> I read the olden but golden tcpip files from
> ftp://athos.rutgers.edu/runet (?), tcpip-intro.doc and tcpip-admin.doc for
> an overview. And somebody gave me tcpip illustrated ii.

I missed the start, just started my first operator job..knew nothing I found
out about TCP/IP.  I'm in the middle of an excellent book by Tannenbaum on
TCP/IP now.  The only concept I had after several years of tinkering here
at home with no scalability was of the connection layer and the application
layers.  Even at that it was a totally misconstrued base.

The book is "Computer Networks" 3rd ed. by Andrew S. Tanenbaum pub Prentice
Hall.  His analogies are really simply put, glad I came across it.  He has
man other books out, this will not be the only one I read.