Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2017 23:02:41 +0100
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, scratch65535@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 08:17:31AM -0500, scratch65535@att.net wrote:
>> A good rule of thumb from industry in the case of major software
>> would be "forever", meaning until it's very unlikely that anyone
>> is still using it because of hardware obsolescence, etc.
> (Sigh.)  And how many people do you think it takes to do such support?
>
>> Why is Linux able to so easily replace FreeBSD?  The desktop is
>> gone.  Servers are going.  The new AMD chips are being tested
>> against Intel on Linux boxes, not FreeBSD boxes.  FreeBSD is
>> being made obsolete.
> In other words, if we move fast enough to try to keep up with Linux
> changes, FreeBSD is obsolete.  If we move more slowly than Linux, then
> FreeBSD is obsolete.
>
> I'm being serious.  We get criticized either way.
>
> Also, for package sets, consider that size * each OS release * each
> architecture (ok, some architectures) = a lot of disk space.  We
> simply have finite disk space.
>
> IMHO, the days that we can expect ports maintainers and committers to
> keep e.g. a FreeBSD 4.11 viable for years are over.  By the EOL of 4.11,
> we were asking volunteers to support *4* major OS releases.  That was
> crazy.
>
> As for the OS releases, we're trying to keep up with new disk technologies,
> new ways of booting, new wireless techniques, graphics APIs that change
> rapidly, and on and on.  The pace of these changes is outside our control.
> We can keep up or become irrelevant.

Or the last strong hold you have - the server owners - get so p**sed off
in reality they can't keep up with the OS updates that they migrate away...

FreeBSD seems to have entered (trying to enter) the desktop market...
good luck competing with Apple and Microsoft... I guess FreeBSD will be
the next Solaris.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/