Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:03:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree 4.1.0 problem

Dear Sirs.

Since we moved up to XFree 4.1.0 I run into a problem on one of our workstations.
The machine is driven by an AMD K7 800 with an ASUS K7V mainboard, 256 MB RAM
and an ATA drive from IBM DTLA 307030.

We use more systems like that around here and all seem to have problems with
ATA - but not directly with the HDD, even with other subsystems which do not
appear on systems with SCSI.

On this specific system we configured several virtual consoles - which could not
be accessed (while on other systems with the identical kernel we can switch
from the X11 system by ALT-FX to a console and back by pressing the highest
available FX-key representing the highest configured virt. console. That works
proper, without any harm.

On this 'sick' machine this does not work - but this phenomenon occured since
we have this machine. I can only use the first console - but this is occupied by
X Server. This machine is only willing to shutdown by using -o option with shutdown,
without, nothing happens ...

Well, now to my specific problem:

We use fvwm2 2.2.5 on this machine. xdm is running, X server is started by
/etc/rc.local staticaly and connect via indirect query to an chooser delivering
XDMCP host. That worked in the past with XFree86 4.0.3 properly.

Now X server dies when someone exits ist session and the system is only reactivateable
by a reboot due nobody can access the console (or we start X by network access via
ssh or telnet, that works fine). Does anyone has any kind of glue, hint or tip?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)