Date:      15 Sep 1999 01:45:58 -0400
From:      Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark), denis@acacia.cts.ucla.edu, mozilla@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communicator 4.5: "Xlib: Unexpected async reply" msg flood!

> The serialization soloution was arrived at by me, after observing
> the problem and non-problem platforms, and taking into account my
> detailed knowledge of threads implemetnations on Solaris, Linux,
> Windows 98, Windows NT, Macintosh, and FreeBSD.

So in your case you're fairly certain it was the GIF decoder that was buggy?
Did you have a particular test page that could reliably crash communicator?
This would be especially good if it reliably triggered the sequence errors.

I'm certain the Linux version and fairly certain that the other versions of
communicator do _not_ use the native OS thread implementation. They use the
built in user-space NSPR thread implementation. Which I think is supposed to
use a simple FIFO scheduler like you describe.

My hunch on the bug is that Java's run-time sets up the signal handlers one
way and the rest of Netscape expects them to be set up a different way. And
the net result is that some call that doesn't expect to be interrupted gets a
SIGALRM and some X library call is preempted when it shouldn't be.

--
greg