Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:29:32 -0500
From:      "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org, smpdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject:   Re: SMP

   From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
   Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:22:34 -0700 (MST)

[ CC: list chopped down, all removed are on the lists remaining ;-) ]

   You are wrong for the BeBox and the SMP PowerMac PPC603 hardware,
   which are only MEI (no 'S').  I don't know how Intel-centric you
   are, but I'd just as soon see an entry under SMP, seperate from
   the CPU architecture, in the build tree.

I assume even without the shared cache state they do things
reasonably.  For example, if 1 asks for a line, and 2 has it but
modified he invalidates and then 1 gets the latest copy from that
invalidation.  I also hope they don't invalidate in this case out to
memory, if they do the bus traffic on those boxes must be unpleasant.
This is a bad scheme even if 2 gets his copy stright from the others
cache even though he himself is pushing straight to ram.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><