Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:52:47 +1000
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statically compiled files left over after a 'make world'

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:28:42PM -0700, Marcus Reid wrote:
: It's a fairly time-consuming process, but on occasion I like to
: do a 'make world DESTDIR=$D' where D is an optional install root,
: and then compare the resulting tree with the real root and remove
: any cruft that might be laying around. AFAIK this is the only way
: to accomplish this.

I thinks it's the only way currently implemented.  One possible
solution would be to keep a list in the relevant Makefiles of files to
be removed when other things are installed.  Once the bsd.*
implementation is there, it should often be matter of moving things
from one macro to another when something is removed.

I don't think it's actually worth the effort to do right, so rather
than doing it right, right now, I'll keep doing it the way you
described above.

--
Christopher Vance