Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:59:16 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc, was: Re: Plan to import NetBSD rc system

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

Peter Pentchev(roam@orbitel.bg)@2001.06.14 20:19:27 +0000:
> OK, and what do I do if I want to manually start/stop the service later,
> and it needs variables defined in /etc/rc.conf{,local} ?

if [ x${_RC_CONF} !=3D x1 ]; then . /etc/rc.conf; fi

in the beginning of the local startup script?
if it really requires it, it could plainly source it in the beginning,
or selectively using the above if statement when /etc/defaults/rc.conf
would do _RC_CONF=3D1; export _RC_CONF

that's not a very good idea, but it would - at least - fix the behaviour
to be the right way. please read on...

what i dislike most of the complex local invocation method described in
the mail referred, is the amount of subprocesses spawned by backticks. i
see that there are not many people on very small or even embedded
systems but a lot of subprocesses tend to be a real pain in the ass on
slow boxes. imagine a local_startup dir with let's say 10 .sh files.
with basename, echo in a backticked subshell and dd invocations you will
catch execution overhead of 30(!) processes you do not really need.

i think that this is a specific thing about freebsd, being able to run
on really pathologic (speak: badly outdated) hardware and start up into
multiuser mode in under 30 seconds.
try it... start up an out of the box redhat linux on a pentium-60 with
32mb ram. although this box is capable of being a very efficient isdn
router/firewall/application proxy, it won't start up very fast (eg. over
2 minutes for a reboot)

sorry danny, these are just my EUR0.02

/k

--=20
> What do you want to re-install today?
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu

--6e7ZaeXHKrTJCxdu--