Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:03:41 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Python distribution: switching to tar.xz

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On, Mon Oct 01, 2012, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The python.org ftp provides lang/pythonXX source tarballs in a many
> >> formats:
> >> - tar.bz2
> >> - tar.xz
> >> - tgz
> >>
> >> Using .tgz is not in sports-way this days, so I'd prefer to use tar.xz for
> >> new versions. But I can't actually choose there because tarball format is
> >> hardcoded in Mk/bsd.python.mk as PYTHON_DISTFILE variable:
> >>
> >> PYTHON_DISTFILE=
> >> Python-${PYTHON_PORTVERSION:S/.rc/rc/}.tgz
> >>
> >> And in particular python port we have this:
> >>
> >> DISTFILES=      ${PYTHON_DISTFILE}
> >>
> >> Since I can't just choose tar.xz for some new python33 port, I suggest to
> >> change PYTHON_DISTFILE to use tar.xz and to change all the distinfos for
> >> lang/pythonXX (with changing SHA256/SIZE fields). What do you think?
> >

> > I would rather see PYTHON_DISTFILE removed from bsd.python.mk and being
> > moved back
> > to the individual ports instead. Or, to stay compatible for whatever reason,
> > change
> > it to PYTHON_DISTFILE?= ..., so ports can override it.
> >
> > Or, even better in making things complicated, change it to
> >
> > PYTHON_DISTFILE = ${PYTHON_IMPLTYPE}_${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
> >

> I'm not sure introducing ${PYTHON_IMPLTYPE} is a good idea... but it
> might be good to
> change hard-coded .tgz:

[...]

PYTHON_IMPLTYPE was not meant seriously. However, I would love to have
PyPy as some default Python choice at some point in the future, with all
the oddities, incompatibilies and pitfalls for 3rd party packages.

Hence moving the DISTFILE out of bsd.python.mk might not be all that
bad.

Cheers
Marcus

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp