Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:20:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 video grabber for vic...

> If I understand your criticism of the broadcast, vic actually

well actually the broadcast only triggered my desire for a better
method of transmitting slides prepared in advance. Of course if
there is no docs prepared in advance, you are out of luck. I was
just assuming that in some way the slides could be dumped to an X
window for further use.

> > Some time ago I started writing an x11 grabber for vic
>
> Do you mean a function that would grab an X11 window as a frozen
> frame, or a changing series of frames?  I sure I'm missing something
> here, but, is this a totally separate question to the above, or

it is, sorry for the confusion...

> somehow related?  I don't remember what nv did, but, if the

nv did have an X11 grabber which worked really well since you could
pick anything was on the screen, either a fixed window, or the area
around the cursor etc.

One problem I see with a program like vic which does its own data
acquisition from the device is that it does not allow you to edit the
matherial. E.g. in some cases you would like to have the full-screen
image from the camera, or a small 'icon' in the corner of a bigger
slide, or effects with an artificial background with a live image
superimposed, etc.

Of course you can do these things in the device driver, or in a process
between the driver and the videoconferencing program; but, because of
the typical resolution in use, and the fact that more often than not
access to frame grabbers is through mmap()ed regions, it seems to me
reasonably efficient to have a separate 'editing' program which can
prepare the image on screen the way you like, and then just let the
videoconferencing program select one of the available windows.

Also for demos this is quite useful: you can capture the live output from
some program by just moving the mouse to the new position, etc.

> problem is that the presenter doesn't have computer-available
> slides to begin with, I don't understand how an X11 grabber will
> help.  What format would the original material be in.  Not postscript,

Suppose the original matherial is not available electronically.
The operator at the camera could just instruct the editing program
to freeze the best image and let
that one go through, or let it go live when the speaker is being
filmed, etc. etc.

You can of course put all of this in the videoconferencing program, but
why bother, since these are in a sense orthogonal features (I know not
completely, there is the quality/fps issue but that could also be made
adaptive, e.g. the threshold could be lowered when the traffic goes
down and increased when it goes too up...) ?

	Cheers
	Luigi