Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 1997 17:20:12 +0000
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        jwd@unx.sas.com (John W. DeBoskey), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi time-out & lockup under smp

>It occurs on uni-processor system, too.  If I use dump(1) to backup
>my system, I eventually get the following:
>
>st0(ahc0:2:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
>SEQADDR = 0x5 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa

Do you know if this occurs during the rewind or during some other operation
during the backup.  These types of problems, at least when a tape drive is
the culprit, are almost always caused by one of the timeouts in the driver
being too short.  For instance, you may have hit a bad tape block and the
timeout for reading a tape block is simply too short to deal with the
drives attempts to retry the read.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations