Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 15:05:07 +0800 (HKT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD? :-)

David Nugent writes:
>>  The other good thing about OS/2 is that setting up dialup to the
>>  internet is painless. It took me weeks to get FreeBSD connected to
>>  the internet and even then with LOTS of help. My first internnet
>>  experience was with OS/2 and I got everything running in minutes not
>>  weeks.
>
> Yes, it is pretty easy, although I never made use of it. I use a
> FreeBSD system as a router for a local network. :)

I think that this is only part of the story.  The first few times I
set up a ppp connect (including to blazenet), it went like a dream.
Then I tried to connect to Telstra, and discovered that they were
expecting me to throw the first stone.  Took me a long while to figure
that out.  And when the Chinese started talking X.25 over ppp, I had
to give up altogether.  The real problem, as I see it, is that ppp
gives you lots of choice in connection setup, and if you find one of
the more bizarre ones, you're on your own.

>>  I think Unix/FreeBSD won't get more acceptance at the desktop until
>>  there is more emphasis placed on usability.  For instance setting up
>>  dialup PPP should not require people to understand so many things.
>
> You're leaving out or missing a large part of the picture.
>
> FreeBSD is not just a client system, and that's all the internet
> dialer can really do. If you had to set up an OS/2 system as a
> PPP server (which FreeBSD, as delivered, is quite capable of
> doing), then I daresay you'll be in for all sorts of problems.

While it's true that FreeBSD is more flexible, I don't think this
makes for a more complex setup.  The real problem is in the
documentation.

> Sure, FreeBSD is more complex to set up for the simple client
> environment, but the emphasis on its development and use is not
> really as a client system; ie. the "desktop". It can certainly
> make a fine desktop system, but unlike the OS/2 system, it can
> make an even better server. IBM's focus has obviously been more
> specific, and therefore they can afford to cater for the desktop
> user.

There's nothing that would preclude FreeBSD catering *also* for the
"desktop" user, unless it's time and inclination.

>>  If I knew more I would write a darn perl script (I just copied some
>>  files people gave me to get my ppp going). I do admit that once I had
>>  a different provider and it was much easier, but my current provider,
>>  IBM Net,  uses chap/pap(?).
>
> So do I, incidently, with FreeBSD at both ends.
>
> Have you seen the handbook? If so, in what way didn't it provide the
> information you needed to get ppp going?  This document is the
> real help-line.

To be fair, the handbook is pretty superficial.  I'm not trying to
knock it--it's better than nothing--but we need something in much more
depth.  I'm not just bitching about it: I've got a document half
ready, but I'm too busy at the moment to put on the final polish.  If
somebody starts bugging me, that may change.

Greg