Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:49:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        bright@hotjobs.com (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        desmo@bandwidth.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linking weirdness

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Alfred
Perlstein had to walk into mine and say:

> you have a.out format .a files in your lib directories, run "nm" on them,
> if you get "file format not recognized" then move them to thier respective
> "aout" dirs.

*Bzzzt!* I'm sorry that's incorrect, but thanks for playing.

The mpg123 program comes with two assembler (.s) files called getbits.s
and getbits_.s which contain optimized routines for x86 machines. The
difference between these two files is that the latter file has all the
symbol names prefixed with an underscore. This used to be the correct
file to use on FreeBSD but it isn't any more: now the linker is looking
for getbits rather than _getbits.

The correct fix is to edit the Makefile and change the freebsd target
to specify getbits.o instead of getbits_.o.

-Bill