Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:34:49 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to force GMT/UTC

Hello -

If I have servers (all FreeBSD) in many different timezones, how do I force
all of them to consider their system time to be GMT/UTC?

For administration and reporting purposes, it's much easier for me to have
all my servers running GMT/UTC than having to worry about converting back
and forth between GMT/UTC and whatever local time is for that particular
server.

My apologies if this seems like a FAQ...I searched the archives, and every
response I read was "use tzsetup".   Well, I've read the man page for
tzsetup, and have been through it numerous times, and still I have machines
that are all set to local time.

These machines do not send mail or interact with the outside world in any
visible manner...they are all for internal use.  They do "talk" amongst
themselves, and it would be very nice if, as far as they were concerned,
they were all in the same timezone.

Basically, when I run 'date' on every machine, I want to see "UTC" and not
some timezone designation.  If I use tzsetup, it asks me if the machines'
time is local time.  Whether I say Yes or No, I am forced to choose a
timezone (none of which are either GMT or UTC).

My goal is to have every machine think its timezone is GMT/UTC, and use
ntpd to keep them all in sync with GMT/UTC.  Is this possible?  From
everything I've tried, it doesn't seem like it is, but I'm guessing I've
either missed something very obvious or I am trying to do something
ridiculous.  Comments either way would be appreciated.  BTW, all the
machines are 4.0-RELEASE.

Thanks in advance.

- John Turner