Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 01:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New installation notes

> On Sun, 2 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > There is a very big difference between a Quantum Maverick 540 (3600 RPM,
> > 14mS, 128k cache) and an Empire 1080 (5400RPM, 9.5mS, 512k cache).  The
> > two sets of numbers your reported above are very close to the maximum
> > the drives can do.
>
>     I only looked up the drive specs this morning, after having
> thought Quantum made only 5400 and 7200 drives.  That was pretty much
> the only explanation I could think of (RPM).

Quantum makes 3600, 4500, 5400 and 7200 RPM drives.  They have only
being making 5400 and 7200 RPM drives for a little over a year (just
like every one else).

> But I were to do
> something like two 'dd if=blah of=/dev/null bs=65536' on files from
> each drive simultaneously, I should still be able to hit close to the
> maximum throughput, no?

Depends on what maximum throughput you are trying to hit.  If it is
for the SCSI bus/controller a much better test would be
to read the same ``disk cache size'' block of data repeatedly from
the raw device.

repeat 1000 dd if=/dev/rsd0c of=/dev/null bs=size_of_drive_cache count=1

but dd's verbose output slows this way down :-(.

I have done dual drive concurrent iozones using 3MB/sec drives and
saw a very small difference in the numbers for each drive compared
to running them seperately (ie, the bottleneck was really the drives
and not the SCSI bus, controller or PCI bus.)  This was using a
NCR 53C825 based controller running 2 DEC 3053L fast scsi drives (not
wide).

One needs to be very carefull when doing benchmarks to understand
what it is you are really measureing.  And to attempt to make the
test measure what you really want it to measure.  I image a carefully
written C program could do the ``repeat 1000 dd'' above and obtain
close to SCSI bus bandwidth if that is what you wanted to measure.
(I also suspect in this case the real bottleneck would be the disk
controller itself).