Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:32:43 -0400
From:      gkaplan <gkaplan@castle.net>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   source module update

Or have I shot myself in the foot.
proceeding on intuition instead of knowledge I downloaded source from a
maintainers site using netscape under w95, I let the system assign file
names when doing File/saveAs.

1.)  one files downloaded ( a html file ) has a file name that beings
with a initial tilde. When I tried reading the file using lynx several
different expression for the file name:
1.a   lynx ~xyz.html    this returned the message `` badly formatted
address ''
1.b   lynx \~xyz.html   from the lynx context this displayed the root
directory.
1.c   lynx ./~xyz.html  lynx opened showing the file that I expected to
see.
What is the explanation for my results.

2.) the source file which was sent as xyz.src.tar.gz was saved as
xyz_src_tar_tar . I know that this is not strictly speaking a freebsd
question but...

3.) following the suggested command sequence to create and executable
module:
$ tar xvfz xyx.src.tar.gz
$ cd xyz-*
$ make
$ su
executing as a non privileged user this command sequence failed on the
last command . The question then is how do I change my group privileges
from the default to wheel ? How do I avoid breaking security? Have I
done something that would confuse the package database in that the
update that I have downloaded from the current development site is
already installed, in the form of an earlier version, from the 2.2.8
RELEASE cd?