Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:54:22 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with disklabel, please

Hi All

Could someone please give me some clues as to what to do now with the
new disk I have just added to my system. If I do an fdisk /dev/sd1 I
get the output as listed below.

What next? I have tried fathoming out disklabel, but I am baffled. Am
I supposed to make an entry in /etc/disktab first? There is no such
entry for my existing disk, /dev/sd0

Any help much appreciated!

******* Working on device /dev/sd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=670506 heads=1 sectors/track=1 (1 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=670506 heads=1 sectors/track=1 (1 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1, size 663707 (324 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
        end: cyl 289/ sector 1/ head 0
bash# disklabel -w -r /dev/rsd1c sd663707 foo

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089